Egg retrieval
We left Heyworth at 4am to head to Indy for the egg retrieval. Everything went smoothly, although we only got 5 eggs (compared to 13 the first time). I was very discouraged by this considering how many follicles I had at my first appointment (34). Unfortunately, only 5 were mature enough. I woke up from the anesthesia feeling tired, but ok. I had some teddy grahams, diet coke, and they shipped me out.
Car ride home
I was laying down in the car and feeling fine, when all of a sudden it hit me. We're driving on 465 in heavy traffic, and I'm not feeling good. Basically what happened was that I vomited and then passed out. Meanwhile, Jimmy is trying to drive and hold me up by my hair so I don't fall back and vomit. I don't know how long I was out, but I came to and started feeling better. We stopped at a gas station, I cleaned off, and we were on our way again. Well, this happened a few more times, so when we got by Champaign, I called my nurses at Carle to see what they recommended. They & Jimmy both thought I needed to go to the ER, so that's what we did.
Emergency Room
I tried to walk into the hospital, but was soon feeling like I was going to pass out, so I had to lay down in the parking lot while they got a wheel chair. We eventually got inside after being wheeled over A LOT of bumps in the road (remember, I just had an egg retrieval, so my abdomen was very sore). Anyways, 3 hours later I was all better after a liter of fluid and some zofran. There are many more details that I don't want to bore you with, but it was a very unhappy day for Jimmy and I, and I'm glad it's over with!
I am so lucky to have Jimmy, not only for his expertise in the medical field, but for being such a good caretaker. The whole day I was apologizing to him, but he never complained and never made me feel bad about what was happening. He just took care of me and worried about my well-being.
Call from the Biologist & Embryo Transfer Scheduled
The biologist called me today to let me know how many eggs fertilized. Unfortunately we only have 2 embryos, which is discouraging to me. However, I'm trying to stay positive. If we get pregnant this time, it would work out perfectly because we would have less embryos leftover. But if we don't get pregnant, it's bad news since we won't have any extra embryos, other than the 1 from the first cycle. So, I'm trying to stay hopeful and praying that this is part of God's good plan.
Normally embryo transfers are scheduled 5 days after the egg retrieval because they watch the growth and choose the embryos that are the best quality. Since we only have 2 embryos, and we're using both, they want to do a 3-day transfer to get the embryos back inside of me as soon as possible. There's no need to wait since they don't have to select the best embryos.
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words and prayers! I'll update you after the babies are inside of me :)
![]() |
| Yes, I had 3 IVs/bloodwork done in 1 day |
| Not pregnant, just enlarged ovaries |

Oh my gosh, Julie! That is so scary! Don't be discouraged about only having two embryos...remember, we only had three! I hope that you feel better and get plenty of rest. You have another long drive ahead of you! Thinking about you...best of luck! :)
ReplyDelete-Kate
Julie I remember that bottom picture all too well. Just get some majorly comfy clothes and pamper yourself as much as possible
ReplyDeleteJulie so sorry, the things we do for babies! Just glad you are doing okay. Dont be worried about the 2 embryos. Are first IVF we only had one make it to day 3, we transfered and got pregnant. Just remember it only takes one :)
ReplyDelete-Coakley